Makes 12 servings
- 1 1/2 cup + 3tbsp whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 350º. Place muffin liners in a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add butter, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Beat on high for about 30 seconds until the batter is smooth. Scrape down the bowl and make sure everything is fully incorporated. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide evenly among the 12 baking cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and carefully take the cupcakes out of the pan. Place on a cooling rack to cool for about an hour. Ice with chocolate frosting. Enjoy!