Sunday, July 28, 2013
Our friends here in Hawaii are hosting a going away party for us tonight. I can't show up empty handed so I am going to bring along a dessert. For some strange reason I have been in the mood for pumpkin lately so I am making some Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread to take along. It is perfectly sweet, so if you use sweetened shredded coconut, make sure to reduce the brown sugar.
Saturday, July 27, 2013
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup cooked corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 1/4 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup roasted green chile
- 1 prepared pie shell
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/4 cup grated queso fresco (you can find it by the cream cheese in the grocery store)
- 4 tsps all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In medium bowl, toss 4 teaspoons flour with the cheese. Sprinkle cheese mixture into the pie shell. Add the corn, beans, green chile and onions. Be careful not to get any of the liquid from the pan into the quiche, it will make the crust soggy.
- In medium bowl, combine eggs, milk and salt. Whisk until smooth and pour over cheese and veggies.
- Place foil around edge of crust to protect it. Bake for 45 minutes, or until filling is set and crust is golden brown.
Sunday, July 14, 2013
Tonight we are having company for dinner. I want to make something easy and delicious. Baked polenta cakes with tomato sauce are filling and quick and easy to make. They can even be made ahead and served at room temperature with the rest of dinner. I am going to serve them with Roasted Cauliflower and Roasted Zucchini and Roasted Onions (recipe below).
I needed something for breakfast today that was hearty, filling made with the very limited ingredients I already had in the kitchen. One must be full of delicious food when heading out to an adventure at a volcano, you know. Here is what I came up with.
Thursday, July 11, 2013
I have a bunch of mashed potatoes and British Onion Gravy left over from last nights dinner so I decided to make some hearty home cooking to go with it. Nothing more home-cookingy than meatloaf! Add a few tasty peas and you have a delicious meal.
Tuesday, July 9, 2013
Friday, July 5, 2013
Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Monday, July 1, 2013
I made Sugar Free Zucchini Bread the other day and it was not quite sweet enough. I think I will try it again with some more ripe bananas some time. In the meantime, here is my second attempt to make a quick bread with no added sugar.