I have a bunch of mashed potatoes and British Onion Gravy left over from last nights dinner so I decided to make some hearty home cooking to go with it. Nothing more home-cookingy than meatloaf! Add a few tasty peas and you have a delicious meal.
Makes 8 servings
- 12 oz package firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1 packet vegetarian onion soup mix
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 (8 oz) package fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 meduim onion, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 1/2 cups dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place tofu, eggs, vegetarian onion soup mix, soy sauce and milk into a food processor or blender; puree until completely combined. Add walnuts and puree until smooth. Transfer tofu mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add spices.
- Stir vegetables, bread crumbs, cheese and ketchup into tofu mixture; scraps into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake until loaf is golden brown, about 75 minutes. Cool about 10 minutes before slicing.
Based on Tofu and Nut Loaf.
Sweet Peas with Onions and Garlic
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 (16 oz) package petite green peas
- 1 tbsp vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add peas and broth. Cover and cook until tender, about 10 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Based on Italian Peas Recipe.