My little sister went vegan so I have been experimenting. These were actually much better than I expected.
High Altitude Whole Wheat Vegan Brownies
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp vanilla soy milk
- 5 tbsp Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Stick
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9x13 pan with non stick cooking spray. (I didn't have a 9x13 pan available so I just used a 9" pie pan and cooked it for a few minutes more.)
- Place soy milk and "butter" in a microwave safe bowl and heat until the milk is warmed and the "butter" melts. Add vanilla and stir to mix.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Pour in milk mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- Spread evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until the top is no longer shiny and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the pan. Cool for at least 10 minutes and then enjoy.