I have been having really bad allergies lately. Since it makes me feel like I constantly have a cold, I have been making a lot of soup. Here is another.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 medium carrot, sliced 1/2"
- 2 medium celery stalks, washed and sliced 1/4"
- 1 lb red potatoes, washed and cut into 3/4" cubes
- 2 cups sliced white cabbage
- 2 tbsp horseradish
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
- Add broth, tomatoes and carrots and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and celery. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook about 10 minutes. Add cabbage and bring to a boil, uncovered for 10 more minutes. Add horseradish and vinegar and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve with fresh parmesan and caramelized onion toast.
Caramelized Onion Toast
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 1/2 lb (2 cups) onions, thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- 8 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 loaf french bread
- Heat oil in a wide, shallow pan over medium-low heat. Add onions and stir well to coat. Cover and cook over low heat for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally so they don't burn. If they are getting to dry, add some broth or water.
- When the onions are browned to your liking, add salt to taste and garlic. Cook one minute until fragrant.
- Spread over thick slices of french bread and toast for 1-2 minutes under broiler.