Sunday, August 4, 2013

Tofu Tikka Masala

I LOVE Chicken Tikka Masala. It is the only meat dish that ever tempts me. Sometimes when we go to the Indian buffet, I scoop a tiny bit of the delicious, creamy sauce over some rice and hope that I didn't accidentally eat a bit of chicken. Then, I had the genius idea: Tofu Tikka Masala. Here is my first attempt. I have actually been dreaming about this so much, I typed up the recipe and I am going to make it as soon as I get back to Santa Fe. I am going to make my shopping list and have it all ready for when I get home.


Ingredients

Marinade
  • 8 oz plain yogurt
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp grated ginger
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • ½ tsp chilli powder
  • ½ tsp garam masala
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 block firm tofu, pressed and cut into cubes

Sauce
  • 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
  • 1 tsp grated ginger
  • 1 small hot pepper, deseeded and minced
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp chilli powder
  • 5 oz plain yogurt
  • 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar

Instructions

  1. Mix all marinade ingredients except tofu. Gently stir in tofu, making sure all sides are covered. Cover and refrigerate over night or at least 2 hours.
  2. Bake at 375º for 30 minutes, checking every 5-10 minutes and basting with the pan sauce. Be careful not to burn.  Cover if it looks like it is getting to browned.
  3. Meanwhile, cook onions and ginger over medium heat until softened. Add peppers and cook for another 10 minutes. Place can of tomatoes and cooked onion mixture to blender to puree. Return to pan when smooth. Add spices and brown sugar and cook about 10 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in yogurt. When your tofu is ready, add to the sauce and serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment