Tonight I want good home cooking for dinner. Lots of veggies, like usual.
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in 1/2" cubes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced 1/2"
- 1 stalk celery, sliced 1/2"
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 (15 oz) can great northern beans
- Microwave onion, garlic, butter, oregano and potatoes until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Place onion and potato mixture, broth, soy sauce, tomatoes, carrots, celery and green beans in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until carrots are tender, 5-7 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For the dumplings, mix flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Microwave milk and butter to warm then whisk to melt butter completely. Stir milk, butter and parsley into dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Add corn, peas and beans to slow cooker. Stir to mix in. Drop golf ball sized pieces of dough on top, leaving about 1/4 inch between. Cover and cook 25 - 35 minutes until dumplings have doubled in size.