I had a bunch of onions sliced in the fridge that needed to get used. Since I was feeling particularly lazy, I decided to made something that required almost no prep work.
Vegetarian French Onion SoupServes 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large onions sliced thin
- 3 cups veggie broth (I use 2 Edward & Sons No Beef Bouillon cubes + 3 cups water)
- crusty bread
- Soft, melting cheese (provolone, swiss, american, etc.)
- Heat oil over medium/low heat. Add onions and sauté until golden brown and sweet, about 45 minutes to one hour. Make sure to stir once in a while, especially at the end of cooking time so they don't burn and stick.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer. Make sure to scrape up any browned bits that are stuck to the bottom.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place a piece of crusty bread in a small bowl or ramekin and ladle hot soup over it. Let it sit a minute and pour a bit more broth over once the bread soaks it up. Cover with a slice of cheese and place under broiler. Cook for a few minuted until cheese is brown and bubbly. Enjoy!