Irish Colcannon II
- 5 medium red potatoes, washed and chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup onions
- splash of heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat. Add cabbage and onions. Cover and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Mix potatoes and onion mixture. Loosen a bit with a splash of heavy cream. (Don't add to much because you really want this to be thick and stick together.) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- leftover colcannon
- cooking spray
- Spray a pan with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Take about 1/3 cup of the colcannon and shape it into a thick patty. Dredge in flour. Make sure the whole surface is covered.
- Cook over medium heat until browned and heated through, about 5 minutes/side. Serve with scrambled eggs for breakfast. They can also serve as a side dish for dinner.