Tonight calls for something easy and also light and healthy. When I feel like I need a vegetable fix, I always go for Minestrone.
Slow Cooker Minestrone
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced 1/2"
- 1 stalk celery, sliced 1/2"
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green beans
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup small pasta
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 (15 oz) can great northern beans
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- grated parmesan
- crusty bread
- Microwave onion, garlic, oil and oregano until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Place onion mixture, broth, tomatoes, carrots and green beans in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until carrots are tender, 5-7 hours.
- Add zucchini, pasta and corn. Cover and cook until pasta is tender, another 20 minutes. Add corn, peas, beans and brown sugar, cover and cook another 10 minutes until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with crusty bread and a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmesan.