I wanted something that I could do most of the preparation early and just do a little bit at dinner time. I threw the soup together while Billy was napping. All I had to do at dinner time was make the cheese sandwiches, reheat the soup and put a splash of milk in each bowl. Easy Peasy.
Grilled Cheese and Apple SandwichesBased on this recipe.
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, softened
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced thin
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese or 4 slices
- Place a pan over medium/low heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Place butter side down in pan. Add 1 slice cheese, half the apple slices and then another slice cheese. Place second piece of bread on top. After a few minutes, flip carefully. Continue cooking and flipping until cheese is melted and the bread is browned. If the bread is browning faster than the cheese is melting, turn down the heat.
- Repeat for the second sandwich.
Notes for next time:
- The sandwich was great dunked in the soup. However, on its own it was not balanced. Maybe use cheddar instead of swiss for a sandwich on its own.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, sliced thin
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half
- Heat olive oil in large pan over medium heat. Add onions and saute until tender. Add garlic and cook for about 1 more minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add tomatoes. Turn heat down to a simmer and cook for another 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add brown sugar, stirring well. Remove from heat.
- If you are going to eat the soup right away, add milk or half and half. Stir well. Blend if desired.
- If you are going to wait to eat the soup, refrigerate after step 2. At mealtime, reheat soup, add the dairy and continue heating until just warmed through.