I want a scented deodorant and I found a great recipe at Angry Chicken. I modified it a bit to suit my needs.
On another of her posts she recommends making it into little pucks by placing the mixture in muffin tins, freezing and them popping them out. I found some little metal cups at the Salvation Army for 10¢ each. They worked perfectly. As an added bonus, Billy loves stacking and throwing these around because they make nice loud clanging noises =)
- 3 Tablespoons shea butter
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa butter
- 3 Tablespoons baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch
- 2 vitamin E oil gel caps (I forgot to add these but will next time)
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Melt shea butter and cocoa butter with baking soda and cornstarch. Stir until smooth.
- Add vitamin E oil and essential oil. Stir well.
- Divide mixture into tins and place in a cool place to set. Let rest over night. (You can also place in a pan of ice water to set faster. Be careful not to splash water into the mixture.)
- Place in freezer for about 1 hour to loosen.
- Remove from tins and use.
The deodorant is a bit tacky. I am not sure if that is just because of the humidity here in Hawaii or because there is to much liquid in the recipe. Maybe I should add some beeswax or more cocoa butter next time? I will wait til I get back to the desert and see how the little bars fair in the drier climate before I go make another batch. Maybe it won't matter if I put it in a deodorant roll up tube and don't have to touch it. I found some empty, new deodorant containers on Amazon. They were 5 for 6.99. If I find that the deodorant works well, I will get some for future batches.