Zucchini is one of the cheapest vegetables we can get at the farmers market here in Hilo. As a result, we have eaten a TON of it this summer. At least we will have a bunch of new recipes to deal with the traditional summer zucchini glut next year.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup raisins, plumped
- Preheat oven to 325º. Grease a 9"x5" loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a small pan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Remove from heat, add raisins and stir. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and cardamom together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix eggs, olive oil, brown sugar and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Stir in zucchini, carrots, walnuts and raisins. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling to room temperature.
It even gets the Billy seal of approval =)